Math Tutoring on Solving Systems of Equations Using Elimination
In this method multiply one or both of the equations by the appropriate numbers so that one of the variables will have the same coefficient with opposite signs. Add the two equations together because one of the variables had the same coefficient with the opposite sign and will be eliminated when added to the other equation. Then solve the resulting equation and substitute this answer back into one of the original equations to find the remaining variable. Following are the steps:
1. “Line up” the variables.
2. Determine which variable to eliminate. Make coefficients opposites.
3. Add straight down, one variable should be eliminated.
4. Solve the resulting equation.
5. Substitute this result into either of the original equations.
6. Solve the variable to find the ordered pair solution.
7. Check the solution in both original equations.
Learn ‘Solving Systems of Equations Using Elimination’ with AffordEdu.
Interested in free assessment? Build your personalized study plan with AffordEdu through knowledge map and go for free assessment and free tuition session with math expert.*
1. What are the different methods to solve the system of equations?
2. Why is this method known as the method of elimination?
3. Is it necessary to check the result, if so then why?
Learn ‘Solving Systems of Equations Using Elimination’ with AffordEdu Online One on One Math Tutoring.
Struggling with Solving Systems of Equations Using Elimination? Need math help for homework? You are not the only one. Fortunately, our experts in math tutoring are online now and are ready to help.