Scientific Notation, also known as Exponential Notation, provides a useful way of writing very large or very small numbers.
Standard Scientific Notation for a number is in the form: , where ‘a’ is at least 1 but less than 10. i.e. (). ‘a’ is called coefficient or significand and is expressed in Decimal Notation. ‘m’ is an integer.
To convert from Scientific Notation to Decimal Notation:
1. If ‘m’ is positive the decimal point moves right m places in Decimal notation.
2. If ‘m’ is negative, the decimal point moves left places.
3. Convert to Decimal Notation.
To convert from Decimal Notation to Scientific Notation:
1. Move the decimal to form ‘a’ such that ‘a’ is at least 1 but less than 10. i.e. ().
2. The number of placed the decimal moved will indicate the value of ‘m’. If we move the decimal left ‘m’ will be positive and if move the decimal right, ‘m’ will be negative.
3. Convert to Scientific Notation.
Multiply numbers together in Scientific Notation:
Divide numbers in Scientific Notation:
(ab) must be at least 1 but less than 10. i.e. ().
Learn ‘Scientific Notation’ with AffordEdu.
Interested in free assessment? Build your personalized study plan with AffordEdu through knowledge map and go for free assessment and free tuition session with math expert. *
1. What is a Scientific Notation?
2. How do you convert Scientific Notation to Decimal Notation and vice-versa?
Learn ‘Scientific Notation’ with AffordEdu Online One on One.
Struggling with Scientific Notation? Need math help for homework? You are not the only one. Fortunately, our expert tutors in Math Tutoring are online now and are ready to help.