Math Tutoring on Introduction to Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers
There are three types of fractions.
1. A Proper Fraction is a fraction with a smaller numerator than denominator. Proper Fractions are less than ‘1’.
2. An Improper Fraction is a fraction in which the numerator is greater or equal to the denominator. Improper Fractions are greater than or equal to ‘1’.
3. A Mixed Number is a number written as the sum of an integer and a Proper Fraction.
To convert from an Improper Fraction to a Mixed Number:
1. Divide the numerator by the denominator.
2. Write down the whole number.
3. Place any remainder in the quotient over the denominator.
4. Simplify the fraction if needed.
To convert a Mixed Number into an Improper Function:
1. Multiply the denominator by the whole number.
2. Take that product and add that to the numerator of the fraction.
3. Take that sum and place it over the denominator.
The conversion between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number can be done by the TI-84 Graphing Calculator also.
Learn ‘Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers’ with AffordEdu.
Interested in free assessment? Build your personalized study plan with AffordEdu through knowledge map and go for free assessment and free tuition session with math expert. *
1. How many types of fractions are there? Give the definition of each one.
2. How do you convert an Improper Fraction to a Mixed Number and vice-versa?
Learn ‘Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers’ Online One on One.
Struggling with Improper Fractions and Mixed Numbers? Need math help for homework? You are not the only one. Fortunately, our expert tutors in math tutoring are online now and are ready to help.