Math Tutoring on Determining Equations of Quadratic Functions
When we are not given the equation of a Quadratic Function, in order to obtain the equation of a Quadratic Function, some information must be given. If we are given the vertex, in Vertex Form we can find an equation of a Quadratic Function as follows:
1. Plug in the vertex.
2. Simplify, if necessary.
3. Plug in x & y coordinates of the point given.
4. Solve for "a".
5. Now substitute "a" and the vertex into the vertex form.
In math tutoring when we are given three points of a Quadratic Function, in General Form we can find the equation that defines the function in the following way:
1. Plug in the coordinates for x and y into the general form. Remember y and f(x) represent the same quantity.
2. Simplify. (Remember the order of operations)
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 for the other two points.
4. Take two equations at a time and eliminate one variable (c works well)
5. Then repeat using two equations and eliminate the same variable you eliminated in #4.
6. Take the two resulting equations and solve the system (you may use any method).
7. After finding two of the variables, select an equation to substitute the values back into.
8. Find the third variable.
9. Substitute a, b, and c back into the general equation.
Learn ‘Determining Equations of Quadratic Functions’ with AffordEdu.
Interested in free assessment? Build your personalized study plan with AffordEdu through knowledge map and go for free assessment and free tuition session with math expert. *
1. How do you know if it is a quadratic function?
3. How do you find the vertex of a quadratic function in standard form?
Learn ‘Determining Equations of Quadratic Functions’ with AffordEdu Online One on One Math Tutoring.
Struggling with Determining Equations of Quadratic Functions? Need math help for homework? You are not the only one. Fortunately, our experts in math tutoring are online now and are ready to help.