Math Tutoring on Applications of Differentiation – Relative Extrema
Definitions of Increasing Functions:
A function f is increasing on an interval for every a and b in the interval,
If b > a, then f (b) > f (a)
Procedure to Determine Where a Function is Increasing or Decreasing and Relative Extrema in Math Tutoring:
1. Locate the critical values or numbers of f. Use these numbers to determine test intervals. Also, include points of discontinuity.
2. Determine the sign of f’(x) in each interval.
3. If f’(x) > 0, then f (x) is increasing over the interval.
If f’(x) < 0, then f (x) is decreasing over the interval.
4. Based upon the sign changes of f’(x) determine if a relative maximum, relative minimum, or neither exist.
5. If relative extrema exist find them by evaluating the original function at the x-value.
Learn ‘Applications of Differentiation – Relative Extrema’ with AffordEdu.
Interested in free assessment? Build your personalized study plan with AffordEdu through knowledge map and go for free assessment and free tuition session with math expert. *
1. What is Increasing Function?
2. State the procedure to determine a function is increasing or decreasing and Relative Extrema.
Learn ‘Applications of Differentiation – Relative Extrema’ with AffordEdu Online One on One Math Tutoring.
Struggling with Applications of Differentiation – Relative Extrema? Need math help for homework? You are not the only one. Fortunately, our experts in math tutoring are online now and are ready to help.