Math Tutoring on Adding and Subtracting Integers
The Integers are the numbers that can be written without a Fractional or Decimal component and fall within the set .
Adding Integers with a Number Line:
To add on a number line, we start at and move according to
1. If is positive, we move to the right (The Positive Direction).
2. If is negative, we move to the left (The Negative Direction).
Rules for Addition of Integer:
1. If we adding two Integers of the same sign
● Add their Absolute Values.
● Keep the sign of the original Integers.
2. If we adding two Integers with different signs
● Find the Absolute Value of both.
● Subtract the smaller value from the larger value.
● The sign of answer is the original sign of the number with the larger Absolute Value.
Subtraction of Integers:
We can always rewrite a subtraction problem as an addition problem. Instead of subtracting, we can add the opposite.
For any real number ,
● Subtracting a positive is the same as adding a negative.
● Subtracting a negative is the same as adding a positive.
In general, this rule states we can convert every subtraction problem to an addition problem. We can then follow the rules for adding Integers.
Learn ‘Adding and Subtracting Integers’ with AffordEdu.
Interested in free assessment? Build your personalized study plan with AffordEdu through knowledge map and go for free assessment and free tuition session with math expert. *
1. What are the Rules for Addition of Integers? How can it be done with a Number Line?
2. How is subtraction of Integers done?
Learn ‘Adding and Subtracting Integers’ with AffordEdu Online One on One.
Struggling with Adding and Subtracting Integers? Need math help for homework? You are not the only one. Fortunately, our expert tutors in math tutoring are online now and are ready to help.